Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4 Knowing and Trusting Our Great God Jeremiah 9: 23 - 4



Jeremiah 9: 23—24 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: 24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Have you considered that it pleases God that we know Him and understand Him? Sometimes we spend a considerable amount of time trying to please others and to be thought well of by them. But God says if we can think on and receive His love, instead of relying on our own thinking He will be pleased. God says if we will recognize and accept His acts of judgement, justice and mercy, instead of relying on our own strength and attempts at control, then He will be pleased. God says if we will align our ways with His standards of righteousness, instead of relying on our money and possessions to fulfill us, then He will be pleased. Not only will He be pleased but He uses the word delight. I don't know about you but it doesn't seem like God is asking for all the complicated things I think I have to do to please Him. Maybe it's like all those art works that our sons Paul and Stephen brought home from Kindergarten and we put them proudly on the refrigerator. No, they weren't Monet's or VanGogh"s but they were made with love by their own hands and we were thrilled (yes, delighted!) to have them. Hmm, I'm going to go think about that for a while. If He speaks to your heart about this let me know. Be blessed. Leslie

1 comment:

  1. Leslie,
    I have recently come to know this scripture. It's amazing how the book that we've been reading for years can always give us something new to encourage and help us through.
    I appreciate the revelation that God gave you about this one. It speaks volumes to me because for most of my life, like others, I'm sure, my greatest concern was am I pleasing others...am I making THEM happy. Of course, as children, that's natural...that's what we do. Is momma happy with my behavior? Is daddy happy with my life? However, as we get older that mindset is something that we fail to let go of. It is through the word of God that we learn that it's okay to let it go. Now we are instructed to glory in the fact that we understand and know HIM and that he is a God of lovingkindness, righteous judgement and he delights when we realize that. Now, I realize I can stop worrying about how others think or feel about me and stop making that my main focus. Now I realize that if I am pleasing to God I am in the RIGHT PLACE. To God be the glory for he is the reliever of worry!

    ReplyDelete